Everyone has a dinner tradition and for my family, it is sweet potato pie on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s one of the most easiest yet delightful things to make and eat, so I thought I’d share my recipe with you.
If you’re looking to help out in the kitchen this weekend for Thanksgiving dinner, I highly suggest you take charge of making sweet potato pie. Of course I’m assuming the oven may be pre-occupied with the turkey, but you can always prepare this ahead of time or get it ready and bake it right before the meal is served. It tastes best when it’s warm but I also enjoy it chilled too.
Check out this video Anum shot and edited while I made sweet potato pie. It will also reinforce how easy this recipe is!
What you’ll need:
6-8 medium sized sweet potatoes, or about 10 cups of sweet potatoes
1/8 of a pound of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of table salt
1 cup of pecans
- Peel your sweet potatoes
- Cut your sweet potatoes into big chunks
- Put your sweet potatoes into a pot, add water
- Bring to a boil for 20 minutes
- Drain water
- Place sweet potatoes into roasting pan
- Chop half of your butter, mix with sweet potatoes
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Mash together until smooth and even them out, making the surface flat
- Add a layer of brown sugar
- Place pecans on sweet potatoes
- Add more sugar, spice and butter on top of pecans
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, and broil until pecans have browned
Enjoy sweet potato pie and Happy Thanksgiving!